As I think of the school that I am interning at as a whole, I believe that it is very multidisciplinary. There is a PE teacher, an art teacher, a science teacher, and my mentor, a music teacher. There is also a nurse that brings her discipline into the works. The secretaries keep the school organized, and the principal is the leader of the bunch. Everyone here, even the janitor, all use their skills from very specific disciplines. However, I also see a very interdisciplinary side to education. All teachers must be aware of basic child development issues to teach effectively. They must have a knowledge of what they intend to teach, and they must have effective communication skills, therefore, there is a huge need for interdisciplinary skills.
It is a public school, so there is a principal who is the leader of the school, and technically, the boss. In this way, a school is hierarchical. All the teachers and those who work directly with the students seem to be on the same page, and work together as a team to be able to get the children where they need to be in order to pass their tests. This would be the next level of the hierarchy. Then, there are the "paras" or teachers aids. They spend less time, and I'm sure make less money than the other teachers. They also dont have to have degrees. All in all I think that the school in general is hierarchichal, but it realy doesnt feel akward, or degrading to be the lowest on the totem pole:) Its a very enjoyable school to work at, and I'm glad I get the opportunity.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I felt that you did a nice job addressing your organizational structure and tying it to the interdisciplinary concepts learned in 301.
Post a Comment