Working at a school district that is struggling has been very interesting. Many people have negative attitudes towards schools in our district, so I went into this school not knowing what to expect. Needless to say, I was very impressed and have noticed the efforts for positive change going on, and commend them for their success. I have talked to my mentor about what she thinks could be improved, and I agree with her on many issues.
Since this is one of the best schools, people around the town have transferred to McCarter, so there are now a LOT of students and not enough space for learning to be the best it can be. If the school could get another multipurpose room, for gym or other engagements, it could help quite a bit. As it is now, no PE can be taught during lunch or breakfast hours, so the kids are limited for PE time. My mentor sees 2/3 of the whole student body in one day, with no break in between classes, so she would highly benefit from another part time music teacher as well.
The one major thing that needs to be changed is that the kids do not have enough time to eat their lunches. I propose that another multi-purpose room be built so that the last block of PE classes can go into that room, that way kids can start lunch earlier, and the rotations can each have an extra 5 min. tacked on to their lunch.
I realize that having ideas for public schools, and having the funds the carry them out are two different things, but these are my ideas:)
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am not sure how teachers or parents expect children to learn when they are not fully nourished. I understand that your idea may cost the school district and community money however, denying children the chance to take a break and eat is detrimental to their educations. In my small group communications class we learned if you’re making a speech to get people to agree with an idea that you have it is imperative to start with your strongest argument, which is denying these students the chance to eat, will ultimately hurt their educations. So if you find yourself at a board meeting make the people understand that the children come first.
Hello Michelle, my name is Lisa. State cut backs effect everything around us and sometimes we are not always aware of it if we are not directly affected. Education is important for anyone to be successful and part of that education is P.E. With the high obesity rates among children, physical education should not be reduced. If anything, it should be increased or incorporated with proper nutrition information. Maybe an after school program would be an option for both parents and kids? Food habits are learned from family members and in today’s fast paced multitasking life style, eating right can be difficult. The rising prices of food at the grocery store the past few months doesn’t help either.
Michelle, Hi, I'm Mark Close and I also am doing an internship at a public school. I am following around the Principal and it has been very interesting. In regards to your suggestions I agree kids need more time at lunch. I watch kids get in line and wait 10-15 minutes to get their food and then have only that much time or less to eat it. That does not constitute a good break from learning and to be rushed when you eat is stressful. I am all for specials and I think not only art, music and P.E. are important but having the kids in talent shows and putting on plays and science fairs are all things I remember as a student. I really believe a strong administration, teachers and PTO need to work together and build a CULTURE so that parents and students will all take stock in the school and when that happens you are well on your way to success.
It sounds like your school is well on it's way and I hope it continues to grow. My suggestions are to ask parents who have played a musical instrument to come in and help with band maybe once a week or maybe once every other week. How about high school students that may be off that priod or who get off early from H.S. My last suggestion is senior citizens that played instruments when they were younger or maybe still do - they could volunteer and help out the Music teacher. I hope those ideas help.
Beautiful family. ( Your picture.)
Mark Close
Post a Comment